Draft: October 28, 2016
Purpose of Who Knows What?! Website
By its very nature and stated purpose, the Parent Center Who Knows What?! website collects personal information on a completely voluntary basis from Parent Center staff who are willing to share this information with their colleagues in the Parent Center network funded by the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) at the U.S. Department of Education (ED). Personal information is provided by interested Parent Center staff in profiles that capture: name of person, title, organization or Parent Center name, contact information (including email), and self-identified areas of knowledge or experience in Parent Center work. By providing this personal information, the user understands and agrees that it will be visible and available to other authorized users of the website. Parent Center staff electing to complete a profile via the Site also acknowledge that they are willing to be contacted by other authorized users of the site for purposes of professional exchange. They also have implicit permission to search the site for colleagues with whom they might share or exchange experience and know-how in Parent Center matters.
The website is also available to specific limited other authorized users, which will be staff of OSEP or ED or authorized staff of any of the Technical Assistance and Dissemination (TA&D) projects funded by OSEP. These authorized staff do not fill out a personal profile, but do provide basic contact information. Their legitimate purpose in using the Parent Center Who Knows What?! site is to search the Parent Center network to identify Parent Center staff with specific areas of knowledge or experience in working with parents of children with disabilities. Again, participation in the Parent Center Who Knows What?! website is completely voluntary and can be negated by the user at any time.
1. Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
2. We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
3. We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
4. We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
5. Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
6. We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
7. We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
8. We will not sell or otherwise share with outside parties your personally identifiable information without your express consent. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website or conducting our business, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is necessary to comply with the law, enforce our site policies or protect ours or others’ rights, property, or safety.
9. We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Because the Parent Center Who Knows What?! website is intended to capture the experience and know-how of Parent Center staff, and make this information readily available to specific authorized users of the site at OSEP, ED, and within the TA&D network, we reserve the right to delete profiles of individuals who are no longer employed by a Parent Center, OSEP, ED, or a TA&D project.